Index  
History of the Key West Woman's Club Building
Home
About Us
Member Updates
Upcoming Events
Event Photos
Club House Rental
KWWC History
KWWC By-Laws
New Member Application Forms
Members Only
Pay Dues
Restaurant Card
Event Sales
Contact Us

The building was constructed in the early 1890's by Martin L. Hellings, who was manager of the International Ocean Telegraph Company. Mr. Hellings earned distinction during the Civil War for services rendered the Union during that period. He was married to Miss Eleanor Curry, a daughter of William Curry, one of the foremost merchants of his time who became Florida's first millionaire.

After Mr. Hellings' death the family moved elsewhere. The home was converted into an office building and occupied for many years by the late Judge W. Hunt Harris and other professional men.

In 1940 the building was purchased by the Key West Woman's Club. This organization maintained the only public library in Key West. The rooms on the left of the entrance were used for the library, and those on the right as club rooms.

Ion 1959 the Monroe County Library was built through the combined efforts of the Woman's Club and the entire community. The women of Key West had contributed to library development for some sixty years. Forty-four of this number were the sole responsibility of the Woman's Club.

All of the first floor rooms are used by the Club as reception room, tea rooms, and assembly room. There are also spacious pantries and kitchen.

The building is of finest construction, and one of the most beautiful homes built in Key West.

The Key West Woman's Club is proud of its heritage and this fine old building so related to the island's history.